What is a Black Cat’s Breed?

Home Community Cats What is a Black Cat’s Breed?

This topic contains 14 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  nguyen 2 years, 2 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author

KRISTIN

Every cat has a breed name. What is the actual breed name for a typical black cat. Or is the name actually just called "black cat"? I was curious as my friend has 3 in his home and I do not know what to exactly call them.

Frances

Black cats are a peculiar class of cats. There’s been some genetic research into them, & it’s been found that ALL black cats are part Siamese – it shows up in the DNA. Nobody knows why, but the black color is actually tied to Siamese cats genetically.
    Some black cats come out with a large, prominent nose – this is a legacy from the line of Siamese that are long, skinny to a point of ridiculousness, with a large triangular head & huge nose & absolutely huge ears that dominates the cat (called "traditional"). The other line of Siamese is known as "apple-headed". These are the Siamese cats that were most common until the mid-1960s & were far more normal in proportions. If you remember the old Disney shows with the Siamese cat in it, this was an apple-headed Siamese. (PICTURE 1). The exaggerated shape was pretty much imposed on that breed.
    Black cats’ bodies range from the long skinny, triangular-headed rangy types to the packed solid round-headed, round-faced bodies – with every kind of nose.
    What’s referred to as an "alley cat" is technically called the "Domesticated Shorthair". The colors & patterns range all over the map, including black.
    Some of the Domesticated Shorthair colors are actually considered a sort of breed (Example: Calico (big patches) & tortoiseshell (little pieces of color all crowded together) cats are considered a sort of breed on their own. One kind of Tortie I found in an actual breed book: black body color w/tortie bits scattered thru the coat with (usually) a facial design & has, I swear, eyebrows! (SEE LINK: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Tortie-flame.jpg)
    I owned one of these. (Fun fact: 80% of calico & tortie cats are female.)
    Now, as to black cats. If a black cat has any white markings on it: Paws, legs, chest, tummy &/or a facial design: This black cat is a Tuxedo Cat. The white can be as little as a spot on the chest or as much as the entire underside of the cat. The cat’s body – beyond the underside & tail – is all black. (Spotted black-&-wh cats that look like cows are just spotted blk-&-wh cats.)
    There’s also a line of black cats that I believe evolved in Ancient Egypt in the pharoah days. These cats are totally or virtually all black – they may have a few white hairs on their chest – & have distinctive faces, with strong noses, a packed body (they’re not skinny), ears not oversized, round eyes. (PICTURE 2, Tuxedo cats. Rt-hand cat has Egyptian-style prominent nose) (PICTURE 3: BASTET SCULPTURE, Anc. Egyptian cat goddess.) I have one of them now. They look like they’ve stepped down off a tomb painting & walked into your living room. The white hairs on the chest also allow them to be classified as Tuxedo Cats.
    Tuxedo & black cats seem to be universally smart. I’ve never met a stupid one – not even an average-intelligence black cat. They’re always a step ahead of you. Tuxedo cats are also very dog-like in their devotion to their people – I think that’s the Siamese in them.
    So a black cat can be called "Black Domestic Shorthair", Tuxedo cat, or Throwback-to-the-Ancient-Egyptians.
    Probably more than you wanted to know…But I’m fond of black cats. They’re good luck. I always have one in the house.

Click on any picture to see full size:

Katarina

Maybe it’s a bombay cat. Here are some features of them.
    COAT COLOR= balck
    COAT PATTERN/TYPE= solid color; close lying fur.
    EYE COLOR= gold or copper.
    It may not be a pure bombay though. It could also be a Black Smoke Devon Rex. Or a European shorthair. They all are black or somewhat black. Yours could also be a mix.

Lauren

I was thinking every black cat is an american shorthair, or domestic shorthair…i could be wrong…

Maria

Information above is great. I rescued 3 kittens trapped in the back of my warehouse: 1 all grey, 1 multi colored, 1 all black. They were about 2 weeks old when I found them. Sadly, one passed away (multicolored) she had a bad eye we loving called her Popeye (I thought they were all boys). I gave my mother the all grey one(Brooklyn) , & kept the black one (Spyda). I started to research black cats because he looks just like an "Egyptian cat". I know he isnt pure breed but his features do resemble the sculpture of the cat you posted. He is very affectionate, and unlike other cats he loves it when you are home. He follows me everywhere I go. I love it. He is my little Pharoah.

Frances

NEW INFO ON BLACK CATS, ESP. MAU CATS…
    IF YOUR CAT LOOKS LIKE IT CAME OFF AN EGYPTIAN TOM PAINTING: it is highly likely that it is AT LEAST part Egyptian Mau.
    I was surfing black cats & Mau cats & discovered that though Egyptian Mau cats are normally spotty-striped, black Maus do occur.
    The color is rare & due to two recessive color genes reinforcing each other. Black Maus are not eligible for show because of color (no stripes) but have all the other characteristics of Maus.
    Bombay cats have totally different faces: faces more round, ears rounder & smaller in proportion to the head, eyes are larger & rounder. Bombays also frequently have a brown under-color in their fur that shows up when the sunlight hits them just right. For a picture of a Bombay go to this link:
    http://www.cfainc.org/breeds/profiles/bombay.html
    ATTACHED: 3 montages of cats:
    =First: Black Egyptian Mau cats from cattery sites;
    =Second: personal photos of my cat Faro.
    =Third: Tuxedo cats
    If there is ANY white on the black cat’s chest, even a small spot – that black cat qualifies as a Tuxedo cat, no matter what breed it is. (SEE 3d SET OF PICTURES). Most Tuxedo cats look like they’re in full evening wear, with gloves. Most Tuxedos have more white than just a spot (see the pictures).
    And all black cats have a strain of Siamese genes in them (nobody knows why).

garybedwell

Many black cats are like other people say: Just a cat that happens to be black. My cat is a black cat, but when he’s in direct sunlight (and only when he’s in direct sunlight), you can see two very slightly different shades of black in his coat in the pattern of tabby stripes. Tabby itself, though, is not a breed. It’s just a fur pattern.

sherry

I adopted a rescue kitten when he was 3 months old. At 4 months he looked like an Abssinian but he is all black with a white marking on his groin as well as white neckace hairs. As he grew he matched the Aby profile perfectly; muscular strenth, agility, speed, intelligence, affectionate and loves human interaction. His physical head shape, lean muscular tall body, long limbs, smallish paws, and long tail also matches Aby characteristics. He is 11 months old and of course we can’t be positive about his breed but what is your guess?

Jincy

When you arrive for your cat grooming in Greenville SC,we will provide belly shave,full groom,Toe Tuft Trim etc during cat grooming in Greenville SC
    Visit our site http://www.poshpawsgreenville.com

Nick

I am also wondering about it in some place i seen a black cat but they are just aspin ,In Finland in a veterinarian at http://www.jar-vet.fi/ i also seen a black cat however i did not ask what is the breed of that cat cause my dog is really sick that moment.

J

i have seen alot of litters out there and most of the time they have some black ones in the lot …
    i dont know why but it could be in the cat genetics …

lauren

Breed of a cat depends on several characteristics and color is just one of those. Have a look at this post http://www.petsworld.in/blog/list-of-cat-breeds-with-pictures.html and find your cat’s breed.

Jimmy

COAT COLOR= balck

COAT PATTERN/TYPE= solid color; close lying fur.

EYE COLOR= gold or copper.

It may not be a pure bombay though. It could also be a Black Smoke Devon Rex. Or a European shorthair. They all are black or somewhat black. Yours could also be a mix.
    Thanks
    http://www.petvy.in

Jimmy

nguyen
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.